Advent greetings to you! This Sunday will be our first Sunday in Advent – that time of the year when we prepare ourselves for the coming of the Christ child. We will be having many Advent activities happening this month as we prepare for Christmas, as well as different ways of giving. Special events for Advent include:
- Advent Study for the Adult Sunday School class. We will be discussing the book All Earth is Waiting, written by Reverend Katie Dawson. “This study invites you to explore the familiar Advent themes of hope, preparation, joy, and peace with the reconciliation of the heavens and earth in mind.” All are invited to attend.
- “The Lord is Born – a Multi-cultural Music Celebration” – Saturday, December 9, at 7:30 PM at Hope UMC. Come and enjoy an evening of music and scripture in this multi-cultural celebration.
- “Wonderful Wednesday Christmas Program & Meal” – Wednesday, December 13 at 5:00 PM. Come and experience the Wonderful Wednesday children telling the Christmas story. The program will be followed by an evening meal. All are welcome!
- “Blue Christmas Worship Service” – Tuesday, December 19, at 6:30 PM. For many the holiday season is anything but merry. This service honors the grief one might be feeling around the season.
- “Christmas Working Hands” – Sunday, December 24 at 10:00 AM (fellowship time starting at 9:00 AM). Come and join us as we sing Christmas carols and work on projects for area agencies.
- “Christmas Eve Family Worship Service” – Sunday, December 24 at 5:00 PM. This service will be geared towards families with school-age children will include carols, scripture, and candle lighting.
- “Carols & Holy Communion Christmas Eve Service” – Sunday, December 24 at 7:00 PM. Celebrate the birth of our Lord with the traditional carols, scripture, Holy Communion and candle lighting.
In addition to worship services, there will be several different opportunities for Christmas giving.
- CIRSI Tree – Help to buy gifts for the residents of the Central Iowa Residential Services Inc. The Christmas tree is located in the foyer. Pick a tag, register the name, purchase and wrap the gift, and return it to the tree by December 18.
- Wings of Refuge – Look for the Wings of Refuge ornaments on the bulletin board across from the kitchen. These are numbered ornaments with a return envelope attached to the back. You are invited to give according to the number of your ornament. Your gifts will go towards efforts of restoration for survivors of sex trafficking.
- Hope Cares Giving Box – Hope Cares is a special fund available through the church to provide assistance for people in crisis. Your gifts will go towards the purchase of gas and grocery cards and assistance in emergency situations.
- Mitten, Hat & Scarf Tree – Load up the tree with warm winter mittens, hats & scarves. These items will be given to local agencies and schools for distribution.